2010 Goals



“Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?”

~Mary Oliver, from The Summer Day


I have pondered this question most of 2009. It’s my life again. I don’t have to answer to anyone except my two beautiful children. And while I still feel broken in all the beautiful places, I am determined to have the best year ever.

So here are my goals.

Be Happy
Rarely do I make a flimsy goal without actionable items, but this drives everything. Not only do I want to heal, I want to love again. I want to trust again. I want to not feel hurt or divorced—does that make sense?

And I don’t just want to be happy, I want to make others happy: my kids, my loved ones, my friends. This is the year I give more than I get. This year, I will donate my time to volunteer in my community.

Have Fun
Probably the most selfish goal of all. I want Alex and Ella to have happy memories from this time. We need more laughter and spontaneity in our day-to-day existence.

As for me, this is the year I feed my mind and spirit with books, and get in the best shape of my life by learning how to swim. It’s also the year my home gets an extreme makeover (on the cheap).

Support the Hell Out of My Book
[Poetry Action Plan (PAP) in a separate post.] I’m looking forward to the opportunities that come along with having a book published. I n 2010, I want to meet and speak with as many people as possible about poetry.

Finish Manuscript #2
It’s nearly there. Just haven’t been able to devote time to it because of my schedule. But I’m going to finish it by March so I can move onto something else.

Debt Diet
This is about empowerment—it’s time to get my financial house in order. See goals 2 and 3. A few friends and I are conspiring to go the month of February without making any non-essential purchases. There may be a trial run in January. More on that later.


Don’t think I can do much more than this. There will be days when my emotions will surely tie me up in knots. But I know I can handle it. I can get through anything.

It’s time to burn 2009 and raise a glass to all that awaits us in 2010!

Tell me, what are some of your goals or resolutions for the new year?

Comments

Heidi G said…
My goal for 2010: Nourish My Soul
This amounts to dedicating time for myself to share laughter and connection with special friends more often; to embracing the idea of growing my community of female connectedness, for doing things that are different in my realm of possibilities, to keep a gratitude journal, to donate more 'stuff' in order to simplify the space I call home and to free my mind for 'things' new that do not require mental energy unrewarded; to love my 'Jesse' with all my might, to do something creative every day, and to expand my capacity to love and be loved so even when I am asleep, I am smiling (my cat can be witness to this of course).
January said…
Those are great goals, Heidi. And I have no doubt 2010 is going to be a year of discovery and fun.

XOXO
Maya Ganesan said…
I think your first goal - be happy - kind of encompasses every other goal that anyone can make. Whatever goal you set, it's always going to make you happy if you achieve it.

That's why I'm not making a specific list of goals for 2010. I follow the philosophy that if you're happy, that's all you need. If you're happy, you've achieved everything that you should have achieved at that moment in time.

I don't think "having fun" is selfish at all. :) I think all of us are allowed to have a little fun and joy in our lives, and a successful life is a life that's enjoyed to its fullest. So go out there and have as much fun as you can possibly have in 2010.

Hope you have a fantastic year.
January said…
Are you sure you're just 12 years old? What a blessing you are to this world! So happy we got to know you a little better this year, Maya.

*hugs*
Color Online said…
I'm going to think more before I post my goals, but I support and applaud you for yours.
Jessie Carty said…
those are fantastic goals :)
i haven't finalized my goals yet but being positive is at the top of it!

here's to 2010!
Great goals! I love Heidis' too.

I'm also on a debt diet. We bought some big things in 2009 and in certain ways, it makes my stomach turn. I'm glad we did (b/c I have a new laptop!), but it's time to ease up... to spend less.

Let me know how your debt diet goes.

All best!
Kel
January said…
Kelli, I'll post more about the debt diet this week.

The big February effort is a group project. Once I nail down the specifics I'll post about that, too.

Popular Posts